Spaghetti Aglio E Olio

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DSC_0698 (1)
I love easy recipes. Ones that involve the least amount of ingredients and taste like you spent hours on them are usually my favorite. Aglio E Olio translates to ''garlic and oil'' in Italian and it tastes amazing.  This is possibly one of the simplest pasta dishes to put together, but having good quality olive oil and fresh ingredients make a huge difference.

I'm currently working my way through a big bowl it as I type this. Completely worth a go if you are looking for something new, simple and elegant. And seriously, who doesn't have a crush on Ina Garten? That woman is perfection!

Spaghetti Aglio E Olio 
(recipe from Ina Garten)

Salt
1 pound dried spaghetti
1/3 cup good quality olive oil
8 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, (plus extra for serving if you like a little bit of a kick)
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt.
Cook pasta according to directions.
Set aside 1 1/2 cups of pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta!

Meanwhile, in another saucepan heat oil to medium heat.
Add garlic and cook for two minutes or until edges turn brown. So important not to burn the garlic, so stir frequently.
Add red pepper flakes.
Cook for 30 seconds further.
Add reserved pasta-cooking water to garlic/oil/red pepper flakes.
Bring this mixture to a boil.
Then add 1 teaspoon of salt, reduce heat.
Simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid reduces by a 1/3.

Add drained pasta to garlic/oil/red pepper sauce and toss well.
Take pot away from heat, add parsley, parmesan and a little extra red pepper flakes & oil if you like. (I added a bit more parsley as well!)
Allow pasta to rest off heat for 5 minutes.
Taste for seasoning.
Serve warm.



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment in my blog.
    My parents used to make spaghetti aglio & olio but I wouldn't eat, as I didn't like garlic but looking at your dish, all beautiful and colourful, I am tempted to try it. (I like garlic now).
    Love your photos, the Phoenix Park ones are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely recipe Elisa! So super easy, I hope you get a chance to try it. Forewarning though-- it does leave your kitchen smelling like garlic for a few hours. I kept the windows open and the fan on high ;)

      Thanks for your kind words :) Hope to keep in touch!

      Delete
  2. oh this kind of recipe is right up my alley. garlic is one of my main loves. unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to procure both parmesan and fresh parsley here in south korea... pinning this recipe for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is the perfect kind of garlic, not too overwhelming but pungent enough! ;) And totally get you about certain items. Ireland is very much the same. I am always on the hunt for pumpkin spice for some reason. Ugh, cannot get me enough of that. Yum.

      Delete
  3. This looks so simple and delicious! I am always looking out for easy and inexpensive recipes to try, lots of garlic is always a plus! Thanks for sharing this Rincy!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to try this tonight! Looks simple and divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I hope you did. I'd love to know how you got on (good or bad!) Happy dining babe!

      Delete
  5. This looks fantastic Rincy! Beautiful photograph too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe , tried it yesterday , its so easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes my day ! :) So glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

alittlebird All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger